You are here
Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute
- Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute (SICI), a bi-national organization was founded in 1968 promotes academic relations and mutual understanding between India and Canada mainly through funding research and linking academic institutions in the two countries. Salient activities of SICI are:
- 56 universities from India and 39 from Canada are members of the Institute.
- SICI broadly meets its objective by promoting Canadian Studies in India and Indian Studies in Canada. In addition, academic relations have been strengthened through a project viz. Shastri Applied Research Project (SHARP).
- During its 40 years of existence, SICI has awarded over 900 fellowships for Canadian faculty, researchers and students to further their study of India and Indian languages, facilitated over 360 scholarships to support Indian research projects in Canada, arranged over 90 international internships for young Canadians to work with Indian research institutes, businesses and NGOs and sponsored over 65 development and applied policy research projects in India. These programmes, among others, have helped to in building and strengthening intellectual and cultural links through dialogue, research, and educational exchange.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed on 5th February 2010 between SICI and Government of Quebec. As per this MoU, India office of SICI will administer the programme under which Indian students will be able to pursue Higher Education courses. This programme will cover 15 fellowships at Master’s level and 14 fellowships at doctoral level.
For more details, click here: www.sici.org